Monday, February 21, 2011

Big Mac For Breakfast

Let's talk about Norwegian style breakfast.

Breakfast is basically open face sandwhiches.  Fresh wheat/grain/brown bread, sometimes toasted, sometimes not, with a layer of butter and an assortment of accoutrements on top:
  • liver pate
  • jam/jelly
  • salami
  • cheese
  • anchovies (not exactly anchovies but it's smelly fish in a small rectangular tin can- sounds like anchovies to me)
No fried eggs, bacon and toast.  No omlettes and bagels.  (there are maybe 2 places that serve bagels in Norway)

I didn't eat B-fast in the US as an adult, however growing up it was hot cooked food or maybe cereal/oatmeal.  If I ate in the US after leaving mom and dad it was from the deli on 40th and Madison and it wasn't slices of bread with butter and cheese and often it was lunch food as I was too late for breakfast anyway.  So I would arrive back on the 37th floor with a plate of mac and cheese and fried rice from the hot buffet at Charlie's deli.

It seems most people in Norway try to sit down for breakfast.  They act like it's one of the necessary steps in preparing for work like brushing your teeth and putting clothes on.  The BF will be 'running late' but that's because he sat down at the dinning room table with a bread topping spread, OJ, milk and coffee.  Of course you're gonna be late.  My Swedish roommate in NYC, who is responsible for me landing in Norway, also wanted to sit at the table in the morning and eat her breakfast. Time wasters. (love you guys)

For myself, unemployed in Norway, I can eat at the table and take my time with the breakfast.  However this would not be happening if mommy Rachel had a job.  I'd be runnin around like a crazy person in the A.M. as I always have been and there would be no leisurely breakfast time.  I can acclimate to things like breakfast treats when it doesn't cut into my sleep and when it does, we go right back to a pack of oatmeal or a Big Mac at work around 11.

1 comment:

  1. cheese, meat, jam, and toast sounds good!! i do that every weekend!

    ReplyDelete