Thursday, February 10, 2011

1.Press Reply 2.Type 3.Press Send


I'm still shocked when people tell me they are too busy to call, text or email.

I've been hearing this from bosses, friends and cute boys since caller ID was invented and it's gotten worse.

Now that all channels of communication can be and are traced, tracked and documented, people have been forced to explain and be held accountable for why they have not responded to simple messages. Instead of upping their daily does of integrity as new technology has warranted, they lie.

It is impossible that you are too busy.

I know you got my text, voicemail, email. Unless some crazy Egyptian-internet freeze-dark ages- government control-Fahrenheit 451 crackdown happened I know that you got my message and I know you are not responding to it.

Norway is different.  They either acclimated to the parameters of new technology or they have always been nice and return phone calls and emails. Every job posting I have responded to and every cold call email I have sent seeking work has been answered. 30-40 emails and phone calls have had a conclusion.

The CEO of a Norwegian agency answered his phone talked to me for 10 minutes and then sent a follow up email. 

It hasn't taken me long to get accustomed to this.  It takes the guess work out of all situations.  'I sent an email yesterday, I may or may not get a response. If I don't within 5 business days I may send another email or give them a call but I hope they would just respond.  Maybe they didn't get the email, maybe they forgot about me, maybe I need to hassle and attack them before they acknowledge my presence'  As good as all that feels, I now simply think 'they'll respond within a couple days and we'll see what they say.'

It's impossible that you're too busy.  I had 2 jobs in college, worked full time in a restaurant and I could call you back. It's impossible that anyone is too busy to use a device that is handheld, on your person at all times and works at light speed. Apple, Nokia and Samsung have just made it too easy.

Unlike some Americans, Norwegians are not too busy to complete a 30 second task.

To all of those people who try to pull this 'too busy' crap, get a new excuse or get a secretary. I'm sure you think you need one.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. Either people don't want to make the time or they just don't care. I found it interesting that all your emails to potential employers were answered. It just doesn't happen in America, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a CEO respond to my email, unless I knew him/her... AND happened to give them a gift first.

    Norway sounds awesome!

    Seems like you're having a blast out there love!

    Tiff
    xo

    ReplyDelete